Pages

Monday 20 December 2010

The Judith Hayle Sampler Mystery Answered

On 27th November we saw a previously unknown Judith Hayle sampler sold at auction in Cambridge for £480. And at the weekend Erna Hiscock of Hiscock Antiques emailed me to say she had purchased the sampler - and - yes, she did know what she had bought! Erna was also kind enough to send me some more detailed images of either end of this sampler. She told me that the 1696 sampler was worked by Martha Cousin, although on the sampler her name appears as Cussen. Martha was Christened 18.10.1686 at Brantham Suffolk, a few miles south of Ipswich were she obviously went to school. Her parents were Edmond and Hannah Cousin. In the top image the intials MC sit in the right hand cartouche. Erna will be posting more images on her web-site soon. Click here to visit.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love Sampler and this is Beautiful!!!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!! Morena

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m glad to know who got the sampler and that it will surface soon. I can`t wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete