Pages

Thursday 29 December 2011

The Sampler That Claimed An Estate - Naomi Tarrant - The Scottish Genealogist

This sampler from Dunfermline Museum, the gift of Miss M Hutton, has been described recently by Naomi Tarrant in The Scottish Genealogist (Volume LVIII No.4). It is one of those tantalising Family Record samplers associated in the UK with Scotland, but also found in the USA. Naomi's article is a delight to read. She has traced and researched the family which gives dimension and substance to this sampler. I particularly enjoyed reading the description of how a daughter of Jane Sutherland married a weaver called John Hutton and their unmarried son, leaving his native land for a better life in New Zealand, made a fortune there. A photograph of this sampler was sent by the Hutton family lawyers to New Zealand and was used in evidence for their claim to his estate. If you are interested in reading more of this article, simply click here for more details of how to obtain your copy of The Scottish Genealogist.

1 comment:

  1. What a great find this article is as I start my family search. My father has a hand written copy of this sample he transcribed in Dunfermline during WW2. He was a pilot in the Australian airforce. My grandmother (his mother) was Margaret Hutton who is the daughter of Daniel and Jessie (nee Collier) Hutton. Daniel was the son of John (I have it as James) and Jane the last on the sampler. They are buried in West Wallsend NSW Australia (see http://austcemindex.com/inscription.php?id=6360846). My middle name is Sutherland. I understand that Jane had a brother (?) who was a famous explorer in the south isle of NZ where the Sutherland Falls bear his name. This has been very helpful and I look forward to reading the article which I've purchased online. Thanks. david.s.park@me .com Melbourne Australia

    ReplyDelete