Pages

Friday 1 March 2013

Rare Isle of Man Samplers For Auction @ Thomas Roddick, Edinburgh * 7 March 2013

This rare pair of Isle of Man textual samplers within floral borders worked by Catherine Christian Kissack at Ramsay and dated 1828 and 1831 are Lot 240 for sale at Thomas Roddick Scottish Auctions on 7 March 2013. No estimate is given, but for this sampler and the ones following, click here for more details.

Also in the auction is Lot 196 this charming early 19th century sampler in cross stitch on fine linen by Mary Vinces aged 12 dated 1826. It measures 32.5cm x 30cm. There is no estimate given.
Showing its age but endearing nonetheless with its pastoral ground design with house to the left is Lot 242 titled Jane Cubbon`s work Dec 13, 1833. This sampler measures 56cm x 53cm.

1 comment:

  1. I have visited your website for several months and I thoroughly enjoy it.
    I'm often moved emotionally by the beauty of samplers and stitchery. I love the work, the colors, the textures ... but I also love to contemplate the lives of the women who stitched them. I wonder what their thoughts were for their loves, their lives, their joys and fears ... the thoughts they contemplated as they stitched. It's a total pleasure for me to look at and read about these works of art.
    Thank you so much for the time you take to post on this fabulous site. I'm hooked!
    Gail Berry / Highland Utah USA
    PS Another visit to Great Britain is also something I've added to my "list of trips" to make ... this time to be able to see your museums, stitchery and shops and perhaps attend one of the auctions you post! Do you have any "samplers excursions" planned for your viewers??
    Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete